Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Breaking out

Day +20 (D 158)

It's been 31 days since I was first admitted to the hospital and that's pretty good for a cord blood transplant according to everyone. I've been very lucky in that I haven't presented an infection and only had one fever because of some medication. I did have a few bad days last week, but the nurse said that that was normal, so all in all, I'm normal. The doctor did say that I engrafted early for a SCT, so I hope that bodes well for future recipients of expanded cord blood.

I get to go back to the apartment tomorrow. I can't wait! Laren and Chris spent the day disinfecting the entire apartment. My new immune system is pretty fragile, so I have to be very careful about what and who I'm exposed to. No plants, no pets, no children, no crowds, no sick people. I have to keep wearing my mask out in public, when I can go out, but I don't have to wear gloves anymore. I can't wait to sleep in a bed that doesn't have safety rails attached. The hospital bed also makes a strange growling noise when you shift positions on it.

I'm so excited about getting out, I doubt that I'll sleep tonight. I can't wait!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is better than Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Wiley just called and gave me the good news. I am so happy to hear that. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Just sooo excited you are doing so well. I have a friend who got DX with leukemia recently and i was doing research and came across your postings. I have been reading all about your experience. I wish you would not have be dealing with this but I want to say your story is so uplifting! I can't wait to get online to check and see how well you are doing! I am so happy you get to go home and sleep in a Normal Bed! Try and get a little rest tonight! :)