Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nothing Budging

Day +7 (Day 145)

Sorry we missed updating yesterday, but we are literally just waiting for some sort of result to appear in Ann's daily blood tests. Today's results are exactly what we have seen for the last couple of days, zero, nada, zip, nothing. Her WBC count is about as low as it gets. At 0.1 K/uL, they are not expecting it to pick up for at least another week or two.

Ann did need platelets today because her levels dropped below 14 K/uL, which is the threshold for platelet transfusions. There is a gradual decline of hemoglobin and platelets after a each transfusion because Ann can't replace either naturally yet. I guess I'm grateful that the decline in each after a transfusion is slow enough that Ann doesn't need to be constantly hooked up and can have some very slight measure of Independence.

Ann is keeping busy by watching dvds on her laptop, walking around floor 11 and doing her foot bike. The exercise portion occurs for the most part with out prompting. Well, for the most part anyway. The good news is that her pace and distance are steadily improving to the point that she can walk almost half a mile at a faster than normal pace. In another week or so she will be able to do the entire mile (5 times around the floor) without much trouble.

Laren is a big fan of Reno 911, and brought all the dvds with her. We started watching last night and I have to confess I pretty much gave it a pass when I saw it on TV. I don't think me or Ann realized exactly how funny the show really was. Two words: "plum smugglers"....hysterical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. I never bothered with Reno 911 either--thought it looked kinda dumb. I guess it deserves a chance.

Anonymous said...

you've inspired me to get back on the exercise track, Ann! looking forward to seeing what happens tomorrow...