Monday, June 25, 2007

Making Progress

Day +26 (D 164)





Hello everyone, I have some good news. Ann's counts have jumped up to normal levels as you can tell from the above embedded charts. Her WBC and ANC count reached the normal range for an adult human being for the first time today, and she has been taken off of neupogene until further notice. Hurray!

Most of the doctors, PA and nurses we ask about our relative progress continue to express skepticism about cord blood engrafting so quickly. Patients are normally at day +40 or +50 at the point we are at now. I'm not going to jump to conclusions as Ann might be an outlying data point. But it would be really great if the expanding technique that was used for Ann transplant really help give lots of people chances they wouldn't have had before. A doctor acquaintance (not from MDA) is expecting SCT to be an exciting feild to be in based on our experience.

Tomorrow Ann will be starting the CMV study and there is no word on weather we will be getting mabavivar(sp) or a placebo. However, MDA is going to be drawing extra blood each week and doing a high resolution molecular study to look for any occurrence of CMV. The benefit of which should be that we get a very early warning of the virus if it shows up. Which means we will have a chance to treat it early before it reaches the point that it might endanger Ann's new cell graft.

Tomorrow is more of the same, clinic visits, IV Fluids and more magnesium, but we are making progress.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Wowie Kazowie! Awesome white counts! Hey, I'm jealous. My WBC was only 2.9 at my last appointment. You are doing so well and I hope and pray for continued engraftment. You both have been through so much and I couldn't be happier for you. Keep it up and keep blogging as I check daily for updates! A gigantic hug to both of you! love, nancy

Anonymous said...

Absolutely, you are making progress!

Anonymous said...

that is great news!

heather

Anonymous said...

Awesome news!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah!!!!

Love and prayers from out west.

Unknown said...

:) YAY!

Anonymous said...

I always knew you were an overachiever!! What wonderful news :)


Cindy Nelson

Anonymous said...

Ann's a superhero!
- paige