Thursday, March 12, 2009

There and Back Again

On reflection, it has been quite a while since I posted anything here, too long in fact. As Ann has been filling you in on what has been going on, you know about my adventure in Jersey, and our aborted move.

I'm sure the question on everybody's mind is "what happened"? The answer is easy, to be charitable there was a misunderstanding of what the company was looking for and what I was. The day I had my accident it became very clear that they wanted someone to "push paper" and didn’t seem very interested in my input.

I had some serious thinking to do and called Ann about it. After explaining the situation to her, she agreed with me that the situation didn’t sound stable. She didn’t think it was fair that I had to work a job that I was unhappy with, but we both knew that the reality was that we needed the money. We resolved that we would postpone the move and I would keep working the job and commuting to and from the North East. At least until something better turned up.

So I left to go home and take Ann to her appointment in Houston. As it turns out fate intervened, and I got a call from an old client who had heard I was looking for a job. I arranged a quick interview and the next day he made me an offer that was in my judgment too serious to pass up. I accepted without much, if any hesitation.

That only left two things. I had to fly back to New Jersey and resign and pick up the car which was getting fixed in a GM dealership in Jersey City. I did both Monday morning and spent the next 24 hours driving back.

Apart from the work situation and the car accident, I didn’t have a bad time in the north. I got to finally meet my friend Wiley's wife Mara, who is a wonderful and charming person. I also got to meet the amazingly intelligent and generous wife of my friend Georg, Leal and their brillantly funny daughter Klara. I was also lucky enough to have a delicious dinner in Korea town with one of our best friends, the delightful and beautiful Laren who helped me nurse Ann through the first transplant. I didn’t get a chance to see Tina because of her schedule, but if I could have I would have walked all the way from Penn Station to her place just to meet her for a beer.

Right now, however I'm just glad to be home with Ann 'casue I love her.

7 comments:

Susan C said...

So glad this story has a happy ending! Where is the new job? (What city?)

PriestessT said...

Chris and Ann,

So happy to read that things are becoming more and more "Mundane" in your lives. It sounds like life is doing well by you.

All the best.

Ann said...

Hey Susan,

He's back in Baton Rouge. :)

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful post! I am so happy that things worked out the way they did. you know the saying, "when God closes a door, He opens a window". in this case it is one HUGE window!

Love and prayers from a little further north,

Amanda

Tina said...

I will hopefully be down in B.R. next month. It may be a quick visit, but I would love to get lunch or dinner with you both.
And wow!, what serendipity that you found a job on your week home with Ann!

Nancy said...

Things have a way of always working out for the best. Congratulations on the new job and farewell, to the old one. Now, maybe you can look forward to your lives becoming more normal! (whatever, that is...) Take care and glad you are together once again. Love you both, nancy

Jim said...

Seems to me things are working out well. Welcome home, drive safely and hug AG.