Monday, March 30, 2009

Dinner was a little bit of a disappointment yesterday. I didn't have the right flour for the naan, but forged ahead regardless. The texture was wrong and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get the oven temperature right. The chicken chaat was really tart. I followed the recipe to the letter, but made the mistake of not tasting it along the way. I forgot how tart tamarind can be and when you add lemon juice to that, you're just asking for trouble. Next time, I'd cut the lemon juice down by at least half, or maybe just substitute water. We ended up picking up naan at one of the local Indian restaurants in town. Live and learn.

I've been off steroids for a little over two weeks now, give or take. Time tends to be a little compressed for me, since I stopped paying attention to certain things. I think I'm suffering from a new manifestation of skin GvHD. I itch all over sporadically throughout the day. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It's a sensation buried deep in the skin that no scratch can satisfy. The worst is when the bottoms of my toes start to itch. It's tortuous and the only thing I can do is wait for it to stop of it's own volition. I keep applying moisturizer, which helps to some degree. I foresee some sort of steroid cream being prescribed in the near future.

My joints continue to be flexible and for that I am grateful. I definitely do not want to go back on oral steroids. At the moment, I look less like a chipmunk and more like a squirrel. I consider this an improvement and am hopeful that my face is almost normal for my next MDA visit. It's not about vanity. My doctor thinks the whole process should be happening faster than it is and mentioned prescribing some more meds to speed everything along. I'd rather not have any more pills to keep up with.

I'm going to take a break from playing international gourmet this week. I'm thinking that it's going to be mostly salads for dinner, with the occasional baked sweet potato. If Chris or Dixie want to try their hand at something, they're more than welcome to.

1 comment:

Susan C said...

Sorry that the naan and chaat were disappointments. I always wonder how important it is to have the right kind of flour.

My Indian friend taught me how to make roti a few weeks ago. Her fingers are so agile when she's forming or rolling the dough. I, on the other hand, am a complete klutz.