Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Enough is Enough

It's been a while since I posted mainly because my new job gets me up in the wee hours of the morning and I'm semi-brain dead when I get home. Frankly, I should do it more because writing is not only cathartic, but it exercises all sorts of gray matter that most of us never use on a day-to-day basis. Well that and you find ways of starting sentences without using words like "basically", "essentially" and "frankly"... also you recognize that "irregardless" isn't a word. Go ahead, look it up, its not.

You, gentle reader, will have noticed that the lives of my darling Wife and I have been complicated recently. My Mother has laid claim to the care and feeding of my niece, in her own private version of Pygmalion. I sincerely hope that my niece gets an opportunity to avoid some of the harsh mistakes that I had to live through when I was that age. However, I feel sure that, although I didn’t appreciate it fully at the time, being forced to suffer the consequences of my actions ushered me more swiftly into maturity than any tender embrace or kind word could have done.

Not having raised anything more significant than your everyday Felius Catus to adulthood though, I fear that my experience in this field is somewhat anecdotal at best. My Mother will assure me that after having raised multiple teenagers, she is well equipped in this endeavor. I say good for her and wish her well in a noble cause. Contra spem spero.

The complication has only developed because of a collection of reasons: misconceptions, inadequate standards, teenage mood swings and hurt feelings. It pains me to no end that our presence here is causing such angst and discomfort, so I resolved to do something about it.

Ironically, literally only minutes before yesterday's blow-up I had just signed a purchase agreement on a nice house in Baton Rouge. After yesterday (and some of this morning) I had almost forgotten about it when I got a call from our realtor.

The house is in a nice neighborhood in a desirable part of the city. The house is over priced and the owner bought it at the high point of the boom market and was upside down on the mortgage. It had sat on the market for months and the price hadn't budged. I placed an offer that I thought was reasonable and fully expected it to get rejected because it gave the seller a pretty big haircut.

Imagine my surprise when my realtor called to let me know, in a very cheerful tone, that the seller had accepted my offer in principle. There are a few bugs to be ironed out, but I think we are just working on the small stuff in the deal now, not the big part... the one with all the commas and zeros in it.

I don't want to jinx it, but we just might be getting out of here soon. I just hope Dixie can accept my apologies for it taking so long for us to get back on our feet. I will be forever indebted to her for everything she has done for us and we would not have made it this far without her. I only hope that all the bruised egos and hurt feelings will mend in time.

This is the very last that Ann or I will have to say on the matter here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, your honesty in your situation is humbling. Let me just tell you that, what you experienced with your neice, is (unfortunately) common amongst many young these days....(Not ALL, however). But, as I have read the struggles you all have experienced, I couldn't help but feel how we need to see Dixie as Jesus sees us...."imperfect people living in an imperfect world." Having a daughter who has given me some of the stuff Dixie has given you two, makes me understand a bit more, I'm sure!! However, I am NOT excusing her behavior!! I think that what would be best for you all right now is to just look at her as the "sinner" that we all are and forgive her. I'm sure you will, as you have a good attitude. Wounds will heal, she will "mature," as you said you did, and she will become a better person from it all. I must say that I'm, by no means, excusing the behavior of these teens but, having gone through a good bit myself and NOW coming out the other side, I want to encourage you two. It took lots of perseverence(and prayers)on my part, as a mom, and tough love but I am finally seeing the growth and maturity that needed to take place. Hang in there and best wishes on your new home. I'm sure it will give you much peace! God bless you both and keep praying for Dixie. God cares for her, even with ALL her faults!! Why they don't "see their ways" is beyond me sometimes but there is "Hope!" :o) Praying for Ann, too, and that she will be completely free of leukemia!!

Anonymous said...

Oops!! I meant to say "Chloe" instead of "Dixie" in my previous comment! So sorry. I think you figured it out....