Thursday, April 23, 2009

The call

I literally just got off the phone with my transplant doctor and here's what I know:

I am in complete molecular remission; no evidence of leukemia. The chimerism test is still out, so I don't know what percent donor I am. Dr. K. presented my case to the board and the consensus was that since there is no standard of care concerning my type of leukemia/translocation, they would be doing me more harm than good by giving me more chemo. The doctors want to ensure the health of my graft and let the transplant do what it's supposed to. They also don't know what to give me and how much of anything. My doctor reassured me that I'm 8 months out and that things look good.

I've had the creeping suspicion that the medical powers that be didn't think that I'd make it out this far, let alone out of a second transplant. People, that chemo was rough. Well, here I am, almost 8 months later.

Dr. K. went on to ask me if I had any new issues or concerns. I told her that the itchiness has picked up a lot and she was very pleased. GvH wins again. Seriously, the bottoms of my toes itched for 4 hours yesterday. I kept shuffling my feet over the carpet, hoping to get some relief, since you're really not supposed to scratch. The kooky neighbor across the street has probably labeled me the same thing for all of my weird shenanigans.

I only have to check in with my local oncologist once a month now, which will be nice. I just saw him a little less than 2 weeks ago and I have another appointment next Tuesday. I'll keep that appointment and we'll just go from there.

Chris and I have started house hunting again. I'll save that post for tomorrow, though.

16 comments:

PJ said...

Keep those medical gurus guessing!

Daria said...

Sounds like great news ...

Ronni Gordon said...

Glad you got good news. Keep on keepin' on!

Tina said...

best news!!

Wiley said...

It's good to hear that you're where you're at, even if the doctors have no idea where to go from here. You're 8 months out and only getting better! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! Just fantastic.

susiegb said...

That's really great news Ann ... :)

Betsy said...

Ann, I don't always post a comment but I check your blog everyday. That's wonderful news on your bone marrow. You're getting better and better so just keep suprising those docs!!!

Samantha MacRae said...

Wonderful news Ann. Thyanks for posting. You are an inspiration!

Can't wait to hear about the house hunting.

Sam xx

Jim said...

Remember that hurricane in Houston? Looks like the storm blew over. Amen, girl, and lovin' it for you!

Susan C said...

Really fabulous news!

Rene said...

Ann -- that is such great news!!! I hope the itching decreases soon -- that is a very annoying feeling!

Mara said...

Joy!!!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely the best news, Ann! I'm a firm believer in focusing on TODAY. And TODAY is a GREAT day! Let the feeling that little ol' YOU has the big "L" on the run be the biggest victory of your LIFE!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

AWOOOOHOOOOOOO

keep itchy feet over leukie any day!

great news.
Lea

Terri said...

Wow, eight months already! It sure went fast for me because I'm merely an onlooker!!