Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Day +211

One year ago today I was at work, feeling horrible and constantly out of breath. I thought that I was just having a hard time recovering from a case of strep throat in late October. I must have been out of breath because I was out of shape. Not so.

Christmas was particularly special this year just because I survived to celebrate it. According to the doctors, I would have been dead by now without my stem cell transplant. So, I am especially thankful to all of the people who came together and made this possible.

It has not been an easy year, less so for the people that had to watch me recover from this disease, I think. I've made it this far and I don't plan on giving up anytime soon.

My regular doctor's appointment was nice and uneventful. My numbers are excellent with a slight elevation in my platelets. Chris and I are still convinced that the winning cord belongs to a future stunt man. That kid is going to be a terror on the play ground. I'm waiting on the test results for my EBv count from last week. They should be back by now and I really hope that the elevation has been resolved. If not, then I'll have to contend with the thought of PTLD again. Rituxan's not that bad, but the thought of tumors growing all over me gives me the willies.

The GvHD is under control at the moment and I'm tapering off of all the topical steroids. I have a follow up appointment at MDA on January 2, so we'll be on the road again. I'll post if anything happens between now and then. Let's hope you don't hear from me.

5 comments:

lee said...

Ann- I think it was the Christmas statistic, more than any other, that swayed our decision to run a story on your situation. I am so proud of you and Chris for making it this far and beyond. Here is to a relatvely unremarkable 2008!

Tina said...

annie, what can i say? best christmas present ever is that you are still around makin me laugh. now i have loads more memories to add to the many, many i already have of us from our days at NHS, and college and *ahem* the bayou, the chimes, the christmas eve ham, and all the more.

you're the best, bananie!

love ya lots!

Paige said...

2008 is going to be the best year ever!!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

carilou said...

I am thinking the thin skin and special creams and all will make you age more beautifully and you'll have less crows feet than the rest of us. As if Asian women ever needed help in that department...puh-leeze.
I am really hoping you mind the instructions not to rub that cream on your groin as thin skin down there sounds just dreadful. I can't think about it without gagging.

Renee said...

Happy New Year!