Friday, July 27, 2007

Support

I'm sitting next to Chris, trying to offer him comfort. I'm afraid that I'm not doing a very good job. If you've read his post (located below), you know that I had a shady result in my blood tests. I'm showing 3% blasts in my blood work and according to my nurses and transplant team, it's not unusual to have 0-5% blasts in your blood. Sometimes, it just happens.

Chris is ready to climb the walls and eat the drywall, he's so tense. He's really worried about what my bone marrow biopsy will reveal today. The APN put a rush on the order, so we might know something in 4 to 5 hours. They've promised to call us when they know something. These will only be preliminary results. The full diagnostic will be available sometime next week.

As for me, I'm not going to worry about it until I have to. I feel well. My appetite is good and I'm not exhibiting any of the signs that I did when I was initially diagnosed. I've been warned by my doctor that it could be nothing, but we wouldn't know until the BMA came through. He also said that he wasn't sure that it was a sign of a relapse, since my other numbers were coming up. Either way, I'm going to sit tight until we hear something definitive.

Over the last seven months, I've been poked and prodded more than I care to think about. This is just another little bump in the road. I've been warned of pneumonia, CMV, CMV pneumonia, herpes, staph infection, CVC infection, bacterial infection of various sorts and body parts, and fungal infection. The boogey man is microscopic and there is very little that I can do about it, other than take it one day at a time.

Faith and determination have taken me a long way and I'm not about to give up now just because of this.

No comments: