Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Debacle and Delight

Day +41 (Day 179)

I'll keep the debacle portion of this post as short as I can. We were scheduled to move into our new apartment Saturday, after the vents and ducts had been cleaned. The cleaning company was supposed to come out between 12pm and 2pm. Where have I heard that promise before? While we waited, Dixie, Chris and I finished packing up the better part of our belongings and waited. And waited. After several calls from Chris, the cleaning crew showed up a little after 5pm. I wonder if they were daylighting for the cable company. There was dust and mold on the outside of the vents in the new apartment, but we had no idea of the extent of it. The cleaners pulled the vents off and saw that the ducts were completely choked and the inside of the vents had at least three inches of dust and mold piled up on them. They examined the air handler and found that it was choked with mold and was a lost cause. Surprisingly, they just came out and said that they couldn't clean it.

Needless to say, they pronounced it unfit for me to live in. So, we went into high gear to find another apartment. I found one in the first complex that we had originally scheduled to move into and reserved it until we heard back from our landlords.

As luck would have it, our would be landlords were horrified at the condition of the apartment they were going to rent us and found us another one available Monday. Dixie wasn't able to stay and help move, but we had a really great visit. :) The new apartment is in the same complex that we currently live in and it is thankfully on the first floor. Poor Chris had to start hauling our things over to the new apartment after a long day at clinic and in the excruciating heat of Houston. You guys in Baton Rouge know what I'm talking about.

It was far too hot for him to haul everything himself, so he took a break after he had moved about two-thirds of it. We picked up a few more things today, and will finish moving tomorrow. We hope.

Now for the delight part.

My blood work showed that my platelets are up to 61,000. I'm doing it on my own so far. Yippee! That's not really the good news, though. My Chimerism test results came back today. According to it, I don't exist anymore. None of my marrow showed up. I'm 77% one umbilical cord and 23% the other. Now we're just waiting for one of the cords to completely take over and my blood type to shift over to B positive. Hooray!!! No more of my stinky cells making cancer.

I'm not out of the woods yet. I have another biopsy in 19 days and that could show something else entirely. We're just enjoying this good news right now. Chris and I were debating about the babies that the cords came from. Something tells me that they're little bad asses and I couldn't be more grateful.

I got a red blood cell transfusion yesterday and I feel great. They've added activities to my physical therapy regime since I'm doing well. Chris took it upon himself to increase my weights when no one was looking. Since I was able to do the heavier weights, the PT's decided to up the ante. Chris was quite pleased with himself. As for me, I'm sore. I do plan on increasing work outs in order to get ready for Mrs. Olympian World competitions. Beefcake! I figure I can draw in a six pack with eye-liner and fake the triceps part.

Two days off and a lot of unpacking to do. My next clinic day is Friday, so we'll see what the numbers look like then.

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I couldn't be any happier for you!!! Thanks for the phone call. I was truly tickled. Wow, your platelets are amazing.... I'm going to try to learn more about your expanded cord blood transplant. You got me really curious. I'm glad you found out about the mold/mildew before you were exposed! Keep up the great work. Love you both, Nancy

Anonymous said...

I saw this episode of Law and Order once where someone had a marrow transplant and then murdered someone and got off b/c the DNA testing in one part of his body didn’t match another part.
Point being…you might have a new career!

Anonymous said...

wow, i am about to BURST from all the good news!!

- paige

Unknown said...

Congrats Ann and Chris, I'm happy to hear things are going so well for you guys. I've been busy with my new job in Little Rock, but I catch up on the blog about once a week. Good luck with the clinic visit Friday.

Anonymous said...

Ann, it's me your old Harold's customer Kathy (live in Zachary). I went shopping a few weeks ago and found out about your trials and tribulations you are going through. After reading your blog....I knew you were a strong woman but wow Ann! You are one tough cookie. Hang in there. Congrats on having the cord blood. We banked our baby girl's cord blood. Great to see it saving a life. Can't wait to see you again one day. You are such a kind and gentle person I know good will come of this for you.

Kathy