Monday, April 19, 2010

Relay for Life, LSU

Friday, April 23, 2010, LSU will host Relay for Life at the Old Front Nine starting at 6pm. The event will end at 6am April 24.


Last week, the LSU Relay for Life survivorship chair, Sara, contacted me about participating in the event. She's been following the blog since reading an article in the Reveille two years ago and invited me to come hang out. After talking to her, I ended up agreeing to give a short speech at the beginning of the event and walk in the Survivors Lap.

My friends and family know that I'm not a public speaker. I barely squeaked through speech class in highschool. My voice gets shaky, I make unintentional funny faces, and generally look like I'm going to cry. Did I mention that I'm the Queen of saying, "Um?" It doesn't' matter whether I practice or not. It always happens. Imagine my relief when a very kind-hearted college counsellor allowed me to substitute another elective in place of speech class.

Why am I baring this little chestnut on the blog? I'd like your support if you're in the area. Actually, I'd like you to support the American Cancer Society through Relay for Life. There will be lots of events throughout the night, giving you the opportunity to have some fun and donate to a very worthy cause.

If you can't be at the event in person, you can always purchase a Luminaria online to honor someone's memory, or celebrate someone's victory over cancer. Simply make a donation of $10 online and fill out the short form so your luminaria displays your intended message and the name of the person that you are honoring. The candles will circle the track and the luminaria will bear the name of someone who has battled cancer.

You don't have to stay for the entire event. You can come and go as you please. There's no cost to attend and you don't have to be a member of a Relay team. If you'd like to raise funds, there's still time. All the information that you'll need is on the website. You can click on the link, or go to: http://www.relayforlife.org/LSU.

The map link for the location doesn't seem to be working, so here are some directions:


From I-10/I-12 split:

Exit Acadian Thruway, then turn left. Cross Perkins Road and continue straight, while in the left lane, and passing Baton Rouge Beach on your right. Turn right on Highland Road. After entering the LSU gates, turn left onto the Nicholson Extension. The Old Front Nine will be on your left before you reach Nicholson Drive.

From I-10/I-110 split:

Exit Acadian Thruway, turning right, and continuing straight in the left lane. Cross Perkins Road and continuing straight, pass Baton Rouge Beach on your right. Turn right on Highland Road. After entering the LSU gates, turn left onto the Nicholson Extension. The Old Front Nine will be on your left before you reach Nicholson Drive.

2 comments:

Kacie said...

I'm working at the Our Lady of Mercy fair this Friday or else I'd love to go. Good luck; you'll do great!

Ann said...

Thanks, Kacie!