Monday, April 5, 2010

Anniversaries

There is a stack of cards in my mind, each imprinted with the kind of anniversary that few people celebrate. Nine years ago today, my dad died of cancer. I think the official cause of death listed on his death certificate is "organ failure." He died because the original type of cancer he was diagnosed with had infiltrated his marrow and there was no coming back from it. The official date on record is April 6, 2001. It actually happened the night of the fifth and I'll never forget the timbre of my brother's voice when he called to tell me I needed to come home.

I have been feeling a little more emotional in the week leading up to today. I thought it was a result of the hormone therapy that I started almost two weeks ago. Part of it might still be, but I realized yesterday that my tendency to tear up at the smallest provocation had more to do with missing my dad.

Growing up, Tom was my biggest supporter and number one fan. As far as he was concerned, there wasn't anything that I couldn't do if I wanted to; I only had to try. He had a wicked sharp sense of humor that tended to surprise people because he was so reserved and shy. My brother has grown up to be the very image of dad down to the funny little smirk we both seem to have inherited. John inherited our dad's laid back demeanor and easy charm, whereas I like to think I have the gift of his humor. I know I definitely inherited his reserve.

There are a thousand things I could write about Thomas Betts, but the only thing I will write today is that I miss him terribly.

9 comments:

Lisa Adams said...

Ann, I just walked in the door and saw this and read it. I want to tell you that my heart is with you today, and every day. I am lucky enough to still have both of my parents alive, and nothing brings me to tears like knowing each day brings me closer to losing them. I am so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful legacy your father has in you.

With deepest sympathy...

Susan C said...

Thinking of you, Ann, during this time of remembering and missing.

PJ said...

Your dad's still alive in you and your brother.

Tina said...

I have such great memories of your dad. Sitting in his chair, chatting with me about New Hampshire and travels overseas in Asia. He may have been reserved, but when he spoke, he commanded your attention.

Ann, you definitely inherited his humor, the sharp wit and the unique perspective on life. He was a wonderful man with a gentle soul.

Anonymous said...

Your dad was a good man. I still remember how he put up with us girls when he was driving us to school before you got your car.

Heather

Ronni Gordon said...

I know just what you're saying about your dad. I feel the same way when the anniversary of both my parents' birth and death comes around. I like everything you said.

Ann said...

I wanted to thank everyone for their kind words. Having you all as friends makes weeks like these easier to bare. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Ann you are doing so well!! I am so proud of you!!!

You write so well.
xo-Lea

Jim said...

The perfect way to honor your Dad ... with a great post. Glad you and Chris are doing well.