Thursday, April 22, 2010

April check-up

I saw my local oncologist yesterday and it looks like I'm managing to stay out of trouble.

For those of you who are interested:

WBC: 7.3 k/ul

RBC: 3.47 M/UL

HGB: 11.2 g/dl

PLT: 337 k/ul

ANC: 5.2 k/ul

AEC: 0.7 k/ul

ALC: 1.4 k/ul

Alk phos: 114 iu/L

AST/SGOT: 26 iu/L

ALT/SGPT: 36 iu/L

For the most part, my counts are within normal ranges. For those in the know, you can see that my red blood cell count is still low. The normal range is 4.2-5.4M/UL according to this particular machine. I've found that all of the "normal" numbers fluctuate just a little depending on what scale you use as a reference. It's not unusual for transplant patients to have low red blood cell counts years after their transplant.

The numbers that I'm really excited about are the last three. These are a snapshot of my liver function. The numbers have been wacky for the last two years and I expected them to be a little higher since I've been taking a lower dose of tacrolimus. Imagine my elation when I saw that they were almost all normal. The hold out is my Alk Phos at 114 iu/L. Normal is 32-92 iu/L. As my local doctor would say, "Close enough."

My absolute eosinophil count, AEC, is holding steady at 0.7 k/ul. These are the little critters that pop up in your blood when you're dealing with allergies or parasites or GvHD. Many visits ago, my transplant doctor confided to me that this is exactly where she likes to see the AEC. It's evidence that you're experiencing just a little graft versus host disease, which is so much better than leukemia. As my arms and face are covered in tiny, itchy, red patches, I can attest to the presence of a little graft versus host. I'll take it in this small quantity any day over the alternative.

I'm still slotted to give a small speech at the Relay for Life event tomorrow, and you all are still invited to come support a really worthy cause. Said speech has still not taken shape, yet. I'm struggling with the words. A twitter friend suggested, "Survivor, enough said." I loved this and would love to give a three word speech, alas, I don't think I'm famous enough for that.

If you can't make it to the event, but would like to donate, there's still time. You could dedicate a luminaria for a $10 donation, or make a donation to the Relay for Life website: http://www.relayforlife.org/LSU.

This weekend is going to be socially the most busy I've been in three years. A friend is flying in from Boston for Jazz Fest and Chris and I plan to meet up with her for a little bit. I haven't seen her in over ten years and it goes without saying that I'm excited. I'll put up a short post with pictures next week detailing this weekend's adventures.

No comments: