Wednesday, March 5, 2008

I took my last Z-Pak yesterday, much to the relief of my poor digestive system, and things look good. Of course, the storm front rolled through, bringing strange atmospheric changes that set my new allergies off. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Over the last few days, I've noticed that Chris has asked about my GvHD more often than normal. Every day was peppered with questions about how my skin felt, were my eyes bothering me, etc. He has a theory that when my GvH goes into hiding, my immune system is gearing up to fight something scary, like the flu or EBv. This held pretty true during my recovery from the flu. My hands stopped itching about a day or so before my symptoms fully manifested and while my immune system was busy fighting the new invaders, my skin and eyes got a break. As soon as I was over the flu, the scratchy watery eyes and mega-itchy hands returned with a vengeance. My hands stopped itching sometime last week and the cold or what ever it was took over.

This morning Chris was all smiles as he reported that I kept scratching my hands in my sleep. Indeed, they are especially itchy today and my eyes are back to feeling like they're coated in sand. I suppose dealing with minor GvH is definitely preferable to dealing with the scary germs and viruses. I will admit that I miss the days pre-leukemia when I was able to take feeling well for granted and a sneeze was just a sneeze. I'm sure this is the lament of most recovering/recovered blood cancer patients.

Since the little germies have been banished, my appetite has returned in triplicate and I'm eating like a champ. As a result, the scale displays a very ugly number every time I step on it. I'll get it right one of these days, but until then, I'm going to go enjoy something deep fried and crunchy.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Enjoy the crunchy, deep fried foods! I think you have more important things to worry about than the scale (me, too!). So, have at it. I hate to say it, but I'm glad you're having itchy hands again. I think Chris' theory holds water. Take care and keep it up... love, n

Carilou said...

When is the GvH history for good? When do you get to stop all of this monitoring?
Throw the scale away. It means nothing. You're alive and gorgeous.