Friday, February 8, 2008

Baby's big day

Where to start? For the first time in over a year I walked into a grocery store without a surgical mask. It was absolutely surreal to be able to look someone in the eye and know without a doubt that they didn't suspect that I'd been ill. We were careful to go early in the morning when foot traffic would most probably be light and therefore I would be less likely to be exposed to anything. It was a bit unnerving to be able to actually handle strange fruit. It should have been a short trip, but I kept wandering away from Chris to look at God knows what and we ended up spending the better part of 2 hours at Whole Foods. I ran into two friends who I haven't seen since before I was diagnosed, which was really surreal in a good way.

I still have to follow the three foot rule just to be safe and kids still make me gun shy. I will admit that I held my breath every time someone coughed or sniffled. Chris ran interference when any children got a little too close. We spent most of the day running errands, so I was ready for a nap when we got home. I had rather fooled myself into thinking that I could take a running leap and land in my old life. Today was just a small illustration of how I'm still learning what I'm capable of. I've already resolved not to push myself too quickly. Call it superstitious, but the last time I did that I ended up back in the hospital with PTLD. No thanks.

I keep forgetting to mention that my friend Caroline shared a strange little factoid with me. She was lunching with a friend who happens to be a pediatric transplant nurse and asked about my strange cravings for all things peanut butter. Apparently it's fairly common for children post transplant to develop interests in things that they didn't care for previously, like hobbies and foods. It turns out that I come by my love of peanut butter honestly. I've recently discovered that I've developed a tolerance for garbanzo beans. Who knew?

Toby, my PA, called with really good news today. There were no atypical cells in my lumbar puncture this time around so I won't have to have an extra one next month. My chimerism test was also back which is really strange since it normally takes a week to get results on that front. I'm still one hundred percent donor cells. Hooray! Snakes and snails and puppy dog tails. The EBv test was also back early and my viral load is still less than 200. That makes me almost as normal as you. The cytogenetics test is still pending and I've been warned that they could take more than three weeks. No worries.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Glad to hear about your grocery store trip and that you're doing so well!

Nancy said...

Fantastic News! Yes, make a detour around children and people with apparent colds/flu. Your baby stem cells have graduated to toddler cells. Congrats! Very liberating, don't you think? Continue to take care! love, n