Thursday, May 15, 2014

It's Cancer

My doctor called me with the biopsy results yesterday. It came back positive for squamous cell carcinoma.

As a side note, I saw my transplant team at MD Anderson on Monday and had a CT scan out of an abundance of caution and in order to give my transplant doctor the opportunity to examine the nodes in question.

My local oncologist has been amazing throughout this process and I can't say enough about him. He's been in contact with my doctors at MDA--who are also fabulous in their own right. My head and neck surgeon's team has organized my pre-op appointments. I need to have a PET scan to see if the cancer is any where other than my neck. Then I need to have my heart checked out to see if I'm healthy enough for surgery and treatment. There will be X-rays and I'll need to be cleared by internal medicine. For good measure, I get to see my dermatologist for my annual check-up the same day. (It's been on the books for a year.)

This all kicks off on 5/22. If I'm cleared, I'll meet with my surgeon on 5/27 and surgery will take place the following day.

Chris or I will update as we get news.

7 comments:

Amy P. said...

Thinking of you. Luck and wishes for this next journey.

Melissa Red said...

Ann,
You are bigger than this damn disease. I hate that you have to keep proving it. Sending love and fight for the cause. Melissa Red, Nashville,TN.

Thandi said...

I'm angry. Oh please let it 'just' be your abused neck dealing with the silly carcinoma... Ugh. Still angry.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have a good team but I am looking forward to the day that you have a really boring blog entry. One that talks about cooking or TV shows. -Caroline

Nancy said...

My Dear Ann,
You are one tough cookie and I know you will prevail. I just hate that you keep having the ugly "C" word thrown at you. Keep up the fight my dear and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything... anything at all from Southern Cal, call or text me. I can even hop a flight! Just say the word! You and Chris know how to reach me. I'm definitely in your corner! Love you lots! xoxoxox N

Anonymous said...

The relationship between you and Chris inspires me. I have never seen a love story so beautiful. You are a fighter so keep on with the good fight.

Anonymous said...

Oh Ann, I just now saw your post! Please know that Dean & I will be praying for you and Chris as you continue along this unbelievable journey. You are both such an inspiration to me and Dean and so many others.....Betsy