Friday, July 3, 2009

In the realm of all things normal this has been a less than stellar week. In the world of cancer, it's been business as usual. The transplant community in which I exist is a tight knit family with too many members. It is populated with some of the most amazing, accomplished people it has ever been my pleasure to know. We reach out to each other with love, support, advice, and experience. I'm sure it's the same for people with various types of illness, always looking for the shared experience and a virtual shoulder to lean on.

This week I learned that my friend Michelle is facing some difficult decisions. Yesterday, I learned that Graham, a two year transplant survivor and fighter, had died. He had conquered his rare form of leukemia and suffered through severe GvHD and numerous infections. His wife, Sam, has been a constant voice of support on the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society website. My heart breaks for Sam and her two small children.


3 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

I didn't know that Graham had died. I've been checking his blog but, as you probably know, nothing for a month. I am so sorry this happened. Also I followed your link to Michelle, and that is terrible too. What sad news about both of them.

Susan C said...

And here I thought that fellow hapa Michelle was out of the woods. Heavy sigh.

And I'm so sorry to hear about Graham.

(Funny thing is my word verifier is hapal)

PJ said...

Ann, This bad news has knocked the wind out of me. We must fight on.