Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Where did the day go?

I almost broke my promise to blog, because I didn't realize how late it was. This day has been a continuous blur of laundry and unpacking interspersed with running errands.

We were scheduled to close on the house Friday at noon and like 99% of house closings, this one didn't happen on time. There was a problem with some paperwork that had to be redone and the seller was late because she was still moving out of the house. By the time we all came together, the underwriter was still working on things on their end. We had the movers scheduled to be at the house at 2pm and a refrigerator was being delivered between 2 and 4. The seller had to have her things moved into her new place and her rental truck turned in by 5pm. When the paperwork still wasn't ready by 1:30, we all agreed to meet back at the title company at 5:30 to finalize everything.

The seller was kind enough to give us the keys so we could get our stuff moved in, etc. The appliance guys were right on time, but the movers still hadn't showed up by 3:45. When Chris managed to get a human being on the phone, they told him that they wouldn't be able to get there until around 5. Dixie was kind enough to come to the house and let them in while we hustled back to the title company to finalize everything.

We ended up doing a dry closing due to various problems with a few documents, etc. A figure was entered incorrectly, which skewed everything and would have put the closing off until Monday, if not for the generosity of the title company and the mortgage broker. They slashed their fees to make the numbers work so that we could get everything done. I think we walked out of the office around 7pm, or so.

The movers were attached to the company that's been holding our things for the last 2 years and somehow, they managed to only bring 1/3 of our things. It turns out that our belongings kept getting shifted around the warehouse and things got separated. The owner promised that the rest of our things would be delivered on Saturday around noon.

Our washer and dryer, as well as the bulk of our belongings showed up around 2:30 and by this point, I was beyond caring. We were ready to have our things back so we could start moving forward. The first night in the house was bliss, regardless of the chaos preceding it. I slept more soundly than I have in months.

Chris and I spent the weekend opening boxes and trying to put things in order. While he's at work, I've been doing enormous mounds of laundry and unpacking what's left. There are still a lot of boxes left to sort through and we'll get it done eventually. We're just enjoying the house and being able to spend time together, right now.

A few highlights of this week include the dedicated outlet to the dryer arcing and singeing the wall when Chris bumped into it. The needle valve attached to the water line supplying the icemaker broke off while Chris was hooking up the fridge and wouldn't stop leaking, which required a plumber to come out on Saturday. Loved writing that check. Most of the lightbulbs in the house were missing when we moved in and when we replaced them, we discovered that only 2 of the recessed lights in the living room work. The nice electrician who fixed the dryer outlet will be back on Friday to have a look at them. We've tried 3 different types of bulbs and know that the cans are wired since they've been tested. The dishwasher stopped washing dishes today. The oven display doesn't come on, so I can't tell what the temperature is set to.

Chris has put forth a theory that all of this adversity may be in lieu of something else, and that we should be grateful that we're only having to deal with pedestrian things rather than cancer. I'm with him on this one. As far as I'm concerned, I'm happy to be dealing with the "everyday" normal things for once and don't get too worked up about it. So long as I get to be with Chris in this house that we waited so long for, I'll happily deal with the small stuff.


NJer said...

I am so happy for you. Finally you and Chris have your own place!

Daria said...


Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new home!
Who would ever have imagined that needing an electrician could be so happy an occasion? But I understand perfectly.
(PJ's husband)

Ronni Gordon said...

Wow. Sounds crazy. But good crazy. Glad it all worked out. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on closing! Now move on with your new home and new life and forget the cancer! :)

Nancy said...

A big congratulations! All these "little" things will get ironed out in time. Thank God for no worries about cancer! Enjoy each other, enjoy the joys of home ownership, and enjoy living!