Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thursday, already?

I received an email from MDA reminding me that I have an appointment next Thursday, which reminded me that it's been a week since I last updated.

The steroid pack is empty and I enjoyed a compressed experience. My last experience with steroids lasted several months, giving me time to fully appreciate the manic bursts of energy and middle of the night hunger. There were a few days of excessive energy and two nights where I popped fully awake after only three hours of sleep. I didn't notice an increase in my appetite, which I am thankful for. I'm now mired in the sluggish throes of my adrenal gland's artificial increase in production having been cast off. Poor little gland is having to make adrenaline without the aid of methylpredinisone and it's making me a little cranky.

I noticed a small reduction in itching while taking the steroids. I still itch and there is still a danger of me tearing my skin open thanks to excessive scratching. It's all much more manageable now, though. On a scale of 1 to 10, the worst the itching has been is an 8 this week. There were days where I was constantly stuck at 10 before seeing my transplant doctor.

Chris observed that my complexion is a bit rosier as of late. I don't know which drug to attribute this to. I don't believe I've been taking the thyroid medicine long enough to have made a significant difference. I know I haven't been taking the Prograf long enough to have built up a homeopathic level in my system. Perhaps it has something to do with the obscene amounts of water I've been drinking. Who knows?

Dr. K. has ordered a complete pulmonary function test for next Thursday. She wants to be sure that my lungs aren't developing GvHD. That's a nasty condition, to be sure. I haven't noticed any diminished capacity, but I'd rather play things on the safe side. I'll also see Dr. H., the dermatologist who specializes in skin GvHD. I'm hopeful that she won't want a biopsy. I have numerous punch scars on my back and I don't care to add to them.

Next Thursday will be a very long day and I promise to post a recap on that day's madcap adventures the day after.

I'm still working on cranking out the marketing course work. It's happening much more slowly than I would like. I have seven more assignments to turn in and two tests left to take before the semester begins in August.

Thanks for keeping up with me as I muddle through all of this.

4 comments:

twentysomethinggirl said...

Independent Study is tough even when you're not dealing with the hindrances you have, Ann. I took one a few years ago and it took me 6 months to finish because I was lacking a bit in motivation :-) Just keep plugging away, you will get there before you know it!

lisa adams said...

As always, am with you every step. Will keep you "virtual" company as much as I can and hope that your lungs stay okay and that the itching can calm down so you can enjoy life this week.

Always with love,
lisa

Nancy said...

I do hope your itching completely disappears Ann. It's so annoying and aggravating. Hang in there with the studies, too. If you can't concentrate take time out to play a scrabble word with me. You know I'll always be there to respond!!! Here's to itch-free days ahead! love ya, n

PJ said...

Commiserating with you ...