Last week, I wrote about getting estimates to have a termite treatment applied to the perimeter of the house. In anticipation of having a trench six inches wide dug around the house, Chris and I had to take out the planting strip between the driveway and the house. It had only been in for a few months, so the plants never got a chance to put down deep roots.
I promised Susan that I would post a picture of the garden before we dug it up. Here it is:
And a few close-ups for good measure:
It's hard to see from the pictures, but some of the plants weren't doing very well, while others were flourishing. Curiously, the undersized plants were grouped together in the middle portion of the garden. Some might speculate that conditions were less than perfect. I tend to believe it had something to do with a certain Alsatian and his mixed breed cohort favoring the area with their special attentions. The plants that are struggling were transplanted to one of several pots in the hopes that given a little extra care they will recover. Once the termite treatment has been placed, Chris and I will fill in the planting strip with gravel mulch and relocate the potted plants to the side of the house. The only dog tall enough to threaten the potted plants with a lifted leg is a Great Dane and none of my immediate neighbors has one.
Chris and I put in a new shade garden under two of the Bradford pears in the front yard in order to save the other plants. We'd planned on putting something there next year to spare our neighbors having to look at the sparse and sickly lawn. Our decision to buy insurance against invading termites expedited the matter. Thanks to weather and my inability to tolerate sunlight and heat, it took three days to get everything done. There are a few things left to do and we're planning on adding to the shade bed next year. The grand scheme is a little too grand to tackle this year. I'll add plants in a little at a time as I'm able to.
Here are a few other pictures that I've promised in previous posts:
The urn containing the bullbine and red petunia is positioned on the walkway leading to the front door. The urn with the Spanish lavender and the extra marigolds is outside our backdoor. There were so many plants left over from doing the urns that we put them in under one of the crape myrtles in the front yard. The soil is clay, so the plants are struggling. I suspect they'll be moved to the empty bed dominated by the now shorn sago palm. It doesn't seem to be suffering from our over-zealous attentions and is putting up a cone as we speak. Deep down I was hoping it would give up and fall over. Stupid Jurassic plant.
I have a host of things to get done this week, so this may be the only posting. No worries, I am here and keeping busy with normal things.