Saturday, December 8, 2012

Recuperation

I need to admit to a bit of foolishness before I do anything else. I fully expected to be back at work on Monday. In fact, I planned on it. How hard could it be to recover from having part of your tongue taken out?

I survived a cord blood transplant, PTLD, a bone marrow transplant, and multiple bouts of graft versus host disease. This was supposed to be a walk in the park comparatively speaking. 

Turns out a partial glossectomy hurts more than you'd imagine. I spent all of Thursday trying to recover from the anesthesia that was administered to me for the procedure. My kind surgeons prescribed hydrocodone in liquid form which takes the edge off of the pain and puts me to sleep. They also prescribed a viscous lidocaine "swish" which is the consistency of partially set gelatin and next to impossible to actually swish around in my mouth with an open wound. I'm supposed to use it to coat my tongue before eating. Since I still can't eat, it's not really a problem.

The combination of not being able to eat and being high on painkillers means I'm out of commission for the next week. When I'm feeling more human, I'll write a bit more about this newest experience with cancer. Until then, know that I'm mending, the cats are keeping me company, and Chris is doing an excellent job of making sure that I take it easy and am behaving.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

I hope the pain clears soon, Ann.

Ronni Gordon said...

Enjoy your painkillers!

Did they tell you to drink plenty of water and to take, er, um, a stool softener?

Nancy said...

Mend, my dear, just mend. I hope the pain subsides. Thank you Chris for being such a wonderful caregiver....

I hope you can eat soon. You need to keep up your strength. You'll probably feel better when you can eat something. Rest up....

The job can wait....
love, n

Jim said...

Hang in there, Ann and Chris. Prayers aplenty. Love, Jim

Jody said...

Love to you Ann and Chris.

Sometimes those "small" procedures knock the socks off us. That's because they aren't small.

I admire you so much. Work is secondary, so secondary. YOU and thorough healing are the only priority.

I'm so sorry I was away while all this was going on but you both have been in my thoughts.
xx..

Now, if I can read the capcha (which actually should be called GOTCHA!) we will be in luck:)

Kim Henderson said...

Here's to a speedy recovery!