Monday, September 27, 2010

Monday Rush

I have a small break between classes, so here's a quick update for you:

The nurse from my local oncologist's office just called with my blood work results. I'll cut to the chase--LDH: 269 IU/L; ALT: 338 IU/L; Alk Phos: 171 IU/L. My LDH has improved dramatically and is once again in the normal range. I will tell you all what I've been told by countless doctors. Your LDH can be elevated for a thousand different reasons. The numbers I'm more concerned with are the ALT and Alk Phos. They've improved a little. They are still in the high range, especially the ALT. It was more than eight times the high end of normal last Wednesday. It is now six times higher than the high end of normal.

This could still mean that steroids are in my very near future. I haven't heard back from my transplant doctor in Houston yet. She may not receive the numbers until the end of the day, depending on when they check the fax machine. All I do know is that if it walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it could very well be a zebra.

The only other thing that I have to report is a brief episode this morning when I found myself a little short of breath. I was walking to class and realized that I was getting winded and had to slow myself down. I ended up using the elevator instead of the stairs and had a brief coughing fit while I tried to catch my breath.

I didn't see any ducks or zebras, so I don't know what to make of it.

No comments: