Saturday, November 28, 2009

A special treat

A few weeks ago, my friend Heather called me with a question. We've been friends for 24 years, ever since she was seated at my table in home room. I haven't seen her in 15 years, but she always manages to make sure we stay in touch. She wanted to know if we could meet when she, her husband Jeremy, and their two little ones passed through Baton Rouge on their way home from visiting family.

I had to clear it with my transplant doctor since the girls are literally babies. Mia is 2 years old and Kiley is 8 months. I'm still taking immunosuppressive drugs and have been advised not to be around children. Dr. K. said it would be fine so long as the girls were healthy.

Heather has been manically trying to keep the girls well so we could pull this off. I'm thrilled that she pulled it off, since we were able to meet for lunch today and I finally got to meet her husband and two beautiful little girls.


At the Acme Oyster House. Heather and Jeremy got there a little ahead of us and managed to snag a table ahead of the lunch rush. It's a game day for LSU, so the place became standing room only shortly after we got there.





















We went for gelato after lunch at Latte e Miele. The gelato is unbelievably good. The owners are from Rome and they definitely know their stuff. The gelato is all hand crafted from fresh, local ingredients and the owners are always behind the counter with a smile. If you're ever in Baton Rouge, you should definitely drop in and have a bite or two.









I know it looks like I'm about to drop her, but I'm actually playing airplane with Mia. A few months ago, I couldn't pick up a 10 pound cat. According to her mom, Mia is 30 pounds of squirmy, giggly goodness. I had a blast playing with her and making her laugh.










































Heather and Jeremy



















Mia and her strawberry gelato. I know just how she feels. I think I make the same face while I eat gelato.





































Kiley ate most of Heather's gelato. Every time Heather tried to have a bite herself, Kiley would fuss. Then she started staring down her sister's cup. She's definitely a girl after my own heart.


































4 comments:

Tina said...

wow! what a treat! Heather's family is so beautiful. Glad you got to hang out with her after not seeing her for so long. (hi heather if you are reading this!!)

Ronni Gordon said...

I want some gelato! Glad you had a good time. You look great.

Wiley said...

You look great, Ann! What a wonderful treat to be able to have fun with your friend and her family! Life is Good! The mystical power of good gelato is never to be underestimated, IMHO!

Kacie said...

You look so great in these pics, Ann!