Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Doctor's follow-up

WBC: 6.3 k/ul
RBC: 3.77 M/UL
HGB: 12.5 g/dl
PLT: 348 k/ul
ANC: 4.4 k/ul

I had a follow-up appointment with my local hematologist/oncologist today and all is well. As you can see, my numbers have stabilized from last week. My LFT's have come down slightly. One is within normal ranges and one is very close. Unfortunately, the third measured component is still three times the high end of normal. I joked with Dr. B. that they'd go through the roof the day before my next MDA check-up just to spite me, since this always seems to be the case.

Dr. B. compared today's chest x-rays to last week's and said that they were clear. After he listened to my lungs, he pronounced them as clear as they always are. It no longer hurts to take a full breath which is a complete relief. Imagine going a week without being able to really yawn. It doesn't sound that horrible, but it actually is pretty inconvenient.

I'm relieved to be able to have a conversation without having to pant for breath. There's a dentist appointment on the books for tomorrow and I've been warned that it's going to be a long one. I'll have a crown put in and a cavity filled. I'll also have my teeth cleaned which I'm really looking forward to, since it's been three years. Sick, I know, but I really do love my dentists and I think this makes all the difference in the world.

The week is half over and I've managed to stay out of the hospital. My next doctor's appointment is in Houston, September 16. My one year transplant anniversary is September 6. I'll be having a day of internal beauty with the works: bone marrow aspiration and biopsy, bone density scan, overall wellness check-up and some liver tests. At least I don't have to have a lumbar puncture this time.

I think I'll be holding my breath until October on this one, since I relapsed at 13 months with the last transplant. There's still a small kernel of superstition buried in my intellectual garden and it's starting to sprout with this anniversary looming. I'll do my best not to nurture it along, but you know how certain thoughts and rituals can take your life over after a cancer diagnosis. It's the darkness and the what if's that prove such fertile soil. I've managed to keep the darkness at bay and the what if's on the periphery. I hope they stay that way permanently, but we all have our bad days and I'm no exception.

2 comments:

Jim said...

Very cool, Ann. I'm sure you'll enjoy snazzin' up your teeth. Press on.

Jim

PJ said...

Well said, well said.