Sunday, August 3, 2014

Eight Days

I have eight radiation sessions left. Eight. It seems so insignificant to write it out, but those eight sessions feel like they'll never be over. There's also one chemo left. I don't know what happens after that last session with the electron gun. This is so very different from blood cancer.

The sense of urgency isn't there. There's no mad rush to get things done. Treatment happens at a slower pace and it makes me a little crazy. Once I know what will happen, I know I'll feel better about everything. I've already been warned that the effects of radiation will continue for 2-3 weeks after that final session. My skin has broken down on the right side where I'm getting a larger dose of radiation. It is most uncomfortable and very unsightly. I can't imagine it getting much worse, but I've seen pictures.

All of this is so foreign. I wish I could give you all more details, but I'm as much in the dark as you all are. There will be a PET scan at some point after the final treatment to see if radiation and chemo have killed the cancer. Fingers and toes crossed.

5 comments:

LPC said...

Everything crossed for healing.

Mara said...

You're getting there! *hugs*

Ronni Gordon said...

Waiting around is so hard. I can see how it can get to you after the fast pace of blood cancer treatment. Is there a good way to look at it in that there is not the same sense of urgency?

Nyckelpigan said...

I found your blogs some months ago and have read them from start to present. It is like reading a thriller! You are a very impressing person and it is really unfair that you have to go through so much. I had a stem cell transplant from my brother 16 months ago, and apart from some bowel GvHD, stomach flu and shingles along the way I am doing just fine. Reading your blogs give me perspective! It is very interesting to hear about the treatment in the US as compared to my treatment i Sweden where I live. I wish you and Chris all the best and hope you will struggle through this difficulty as well and get back to your normal life again!

Easton Place said...

Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed for you, Ann! Sending virtual hugs and love your way.