Saturday, January 28, 2012

When real life intrudes

I've just finished the second week of my last semester and must now face a glaring truth: In 17 weeks, if all goes well I will graduate. This event has been 8 years in the making when you include the little cancer hiatus I took from 2007-2010. In 17 weeks if I manage to survive the last 3 classes I will ever have to take as a construction management undergrad, I will be done.

At the moment, I'm currently immersed in the nightmare of every type-A introvert that's ever traipsed through the halls of any learning institution. I'm finally taking the 1 class I've been putting off since my first day of college. Intro to communication studies. There is much emoting expected and the emphasis on class participation is great. I will survive.

There is another class that I must take in order to graduate and until I actually read the syllabus, it didn't occur to me that my grade would depend so heavily on the participation of other students. The class is a semester long group project. I did have the luxury of choosing my group, but that was of little comfort considering I only recognized 2 or 3 students in the class and they were of the variety that I specifically did not want to work with. I tend to remain in a constant state of stress when relying on others for a grade.

Since I can be extremely anal retentive about my grades, my stress level is hovering somewhere in space. I'll get through it. The project will get done. I will graduate.

A side effect of my constant state of stress is a constant state of itchiness. Stress=GvHD for me. Both of my arms are constantly covered in a rash from my wrists to my shoulders. My cheeks are constantly rosy and my scalp is flaking big time. I know that the rashes and itchiness would subside if I could relax. I'm working on it. This is nothing new for me and I've been down this road before. Remember last semester when I thought I was flunking? I finished the semester with a 3.0. I will survive.

The last bit of stress in my life centers upon finding a job. That will have to wait until the next blog post.

7 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh you will survive, now tell me , the baby , the kitty, how are they linked to you..animals are great for helping to de-stress!!!!! so glad I came by to see you, I want you to know I am behind you in this final push!!! You are my hero..thanks for your retweets today xo Jennifer

PJ said...

Sounds like all's well, except for the itching and flaking. I know what it's like but don't have as much stress as you do at the moment. My kids used to complain about having to do projects with slackers.

LacubriousOne said...

SQUEEEEE! You are getting so close! I remember when I was taking my last 8 week session back in 2008, I couldn't believe I was finally on the downhill side of that mountain. Wooo! Bummer about the itchiness...as a major stress ball myself I have no advice...my husband actually acused me of getting stressed before I exercise which I do to relieve stress! HELLOOOOO...WTH...now I will stress over stressing...sigh.

LPC said...

Nice work on the GPA!

Nancy said...

Forward progression. You are getting there Ann. Sorry for the GvHD though... definitely doesn't help with the concentration, but if I know you, you'll soar through this semester. You always manage great grades and to get through even the toughest of times, no matter what you are going through (health-wise or otherwise- i.e. auto incidences). We all have so much to learn from you girl.

I don't think being anal retentive is a bad thing. I think it makes us tougher and helps us get through bad stuff that maybe others would not even attempt.

Home stretch... good luck and feel better!!! love ya

Jim said...

Keep up the great work, Ann. You are doing so well.

kkrafts said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you! You'll do great. As for your skin, I wore long sleeve turtlenecks my entire last year in college.I don't get ulcers like everyone else, I break out with psoriasis. I would have worn gloves too, but thought my fellow students would have thought I was weird. Okay so I am, who cares :-) Congrats Again!