Friday, July 15, 2011

Excitement for the week

This past Monday, I received a paper copy of my schedule of upcoming appointments at MD Anderson. I'll be honest, I usually only skim these letters. I've become spoiled by the internet and prefer to check for my appointments through MDA's website. This time, I paid attention.

I was scheduled for a bone marrow biopsy in September. I'd just had a biopsy in June following March's strange findings. At my last visit in June, Dr. K. told me that I wouldn't need to be back until December. Having done this dance for the last 4 1/2 years, I have learned that something like this generally means that the results of your last test were questionable. It was the first thing that came to mind and it left me feeling a little disturbed.

I didn't feel like I had cancer. I certainly didn't feel like I had some strange mutated chromosome lurking deep in my marrow. I did have a t(4;11) translocation when diagnosed with leukemia. I know you can't feel something so very minuscule on its own, but you can feel the cascade of symptoms it accompanies, like leukemia.

I felt well. I felt like myself. I pushed the kernel of worry into the bag I keep next to the box in my mind that holds the really scary stuff. I sent an email to my transplant nurse asking about having a bone marrow biopsy so soon after my last one. I waited.

Cathy forwarded my message to Dr. K. I got the news yesterday: the cytogenetics from June were clean. The t(7;11) translocation found in March's biopsy was an artifact. I don't have cancer. I celebrated by going to the grocery store, because after so much time spent in isolation, feeling like a creature from another world, that's what you do. It made me happy to do something so fundamentally normal. Buying 3 types of ice cream didn't hurt either.

11 comments:

JenK said...

What a wonderful relief - you must feel light as air right now!

You are remarkably restrained in celebrating with only three kinds of ice cream. I hope you didn't forget the butterscotch.

Chris Alexander said...

Wonderful news! I will lift a glass to you today.
Thank you for posting-I love being able to share in virtual celebrations of the good things!

stinkerbelle said...

Yippie, Yippie, Yeah, Yeah! You go girl! Eat that ice cream and savor each and every bite. Normal, simple pleasures and peace knowing everything is all right in your world.

Jody said...

You made my week. You HAZ NO cancer.

Are there any more beautiful words in the English language!


Singin' & dancing up in Iowa:)

love,
jody

Ronni Gordon said...

That is a great post. I love the reference to the box in your mind and your ability to follow this through rationally without freaking out. I agree with Jen, although I would have gotten hot fudge instead of butterscotch.

Jim said...

Great news, Ann. You deserve whatever ice cream you choose.

Thesis Writing said...

well i rarely leaves comment on any site but your blog is really so amazing that i can't stop myself from making comment on it...

K Blue said...

Definitely such a relief. I'm so glad that you were able to receive such great news!
And really excited that you were able to buy 3 types of ice cream. :)

bszabo67 said...

I didn't realize the ice cream sandwich you mentionedon Twitter would have been to celebrate your diagnosis! Of course you should eat ice cream sandwiches and anything else your heart desires! Wonderful news!!

bszabo67 said...

Oops - didn't see the date of the post. Still wonderful news and I stand by my vote for ice cream any time of the day or night!

Nancy said...

Yeah Baby!!! CELEBRATE ANY WAY YOU WANT TO!!!
love ya, nancy