Monday, March 7, 2011

This and That

Forgive the tardiness of this latest post. My laptop has decided to have a mid-life crisis and insists that it's an overpriced paper-weight, rather than a computer. I'm fairly certain the problem has much to do with the operating system. I'll fool with it some time this week when I feel like banging my head against a wall. I've inherited Chris's laptop, which is rather nice considering how much faster it is than my little work horse.

Very little has changed since I last updated. My weight is still up. I've now gained 24 pounds. When I was on steroids in 2008-2009, I gained 24 pounds. I was only on the blasted pills for 4 months then, so I should be grateful that I haven't gained more this time around. I'm exercising and have modified my diet once again. Last week, I was down 2 pounds. I'm almost convinced that it's time to join a program.

I do have one happy event to report. Last Thursday, I was able to climb 2 flights of stairs without passing out at the top. I've been gearing myself up for this little adventure for weeks. The only thing holding me back was that I knew that I couldn't use the handrail to help me along. There's a valid reason. The stairs in question lead to my 2 classes in PFT Hall. The handrails are regularly cleaned throughout the day by the janitorial staff using the same mop and water that was just used to mop the floor. We've all seen the murky water and gray mop heads go straight from the one task to the next. There's not enough hand sanitizer in the world to tempt me to touch those things on purpose.

I was early for class and there weren't a lot of people around, so I took the chance. Half way up the stairs, I remembered the backpack full of binders and books strapped to me. I managed the extra weight just fine. It's funny for me to think that I can spend 100 minutes on the treadmill without a problem, but actually bearing my own weight 6 inches at a time gives me pause. I'll keep trying. It's the only way to succeed.

4 comments:

lisa adams said...

Small steps. I was so glad to hear your news that day. xo

PJ said...

You could be a firefighter.

Ronni Gordon said...

Yes indeed, one step at a time, even if it's in a yukky stairwell. If I'm wearing a sweatshirt or something else that has a little stretch, sometimes I pull my sleeve over my hand when touching a handrail or bathroom doorknob.

Ronni Gordon said...

Yesterday I realized something else. When going up or down stairs I often lean on my forearm instead of using my hands. Might look odd, but I don't really care.