Friday, January 21, 2011

Holding an ocean

The new semester started Tuesday and thanks to the internet, one of my professors was able to post assignments ahead of class. I have been hiding under textbooks since Sunday. Last semester gave me a good sense of what I might be able to handle this time around. I'm only taking two classes: Construction Law and Statics/Mechanics/Dynamics. Both classes require a lot of outside reading and both professors have structured the coursework so that you will always have something due each class period, or a quiz at the very least.

Earlier this week, I noticed that my fingers were swollen to the point that I couldn't get my rings off. I've been taking lasix, so this shouldn't have been the case. I contacted my transplant team and was advised that I could double the lasix dose for three days, but I'd need to have blood work done locally.

I finished the new course of lasix yesterday and saw my local oncologist this morning. My weight is still up and I'm still retaining some fluid. My transplant doctor wanted to be sure that my electrolyte levels weren't low due to all of the excess flushing. Much to my surprise, they were absolutely normal. My local doctor pronounced me to be perfect. The man has a medical degree, so he must know what he's talking about.

For those that are interested, here are the numbers:

WBC: 13.1 k/ul (4.5-10.8) Dr. B. assured me that it's mostly neutrophils thanks to the steroids.

RBC: 3.67 M/ul (4.2-5.4) They've been a little low for months now. Nothing to be worried about.

Hemoglobin: 12.9 g/dl (12.0-16.0)

Platelets: 397 k/ul (150-350)

ALC: 2.3 k/ul (1.3-2.9)

ANC: 9.5 k/ul (1.5-10.0)

ALK PHOS: 37 IU/L (32-92)

AST/SGOT: 14 IU/L (10-42)

ALT/SGPT: 19 IU/L (10-40)

It would appear that my liver is behaving. My liver enzymes are blissfully normal. You have no idea how happy this makes me.

I'll see my transplant doctor in February, and until then, my medical dance card should be empty.

4 comments:

lisa adams said...

great news. I love any man who tells you that you're perfect. Clearly he's right xoxo

Nancy said...

Yes, we are interested. You are posting great numbers Ann. Keep it up and I hope you continue to feel better every day.

Good luck in school. They sound like tough classes. I wouldn't even think of getting near classes with those names. Props to you girl!!! I'm sure you'll continue to do well in classes!!! love ya, nancy

Joe.Karen said...

Hi Ann!!!!!
I realize that I disappeared for a very long time. I've gone through a lot of very wonderful and crazy transitions.
Mostly, I wanted to let you know that you're still in my thoughts and prayers. You are amazing!
Love,
Karen

Ronni Gordon said...

Liver enzymes normal! That is great news. Congratulations. And of course I'm super-glad that you are perfect.